February 11, 2011

What's the Big Deal?

1. Just Say No to Facebook. It’s so tempting to log on, just to troll through groups, check out who updated their status.. But if you have a lot of work to do, you must avoid it! We all know the drill: you get on there just to check for new messages and the next thing you know, you’ve wasted two precious hours. I still haven’t really mastered this one, but when I am able to avoid Facebook (usually by eliminating access to it), I get things done in much less time.

I want to have a simpler life. I have chosen to de-clutter certain parts of my life and one of the habits I chose to get ride of was my Facebook account. Some of you may question why I think it's easier. I will explain.

I have often found my self sitting in front of the computer to read everyone's updates... Exciting.. Interesting, sometimes Educational. Now lets see the word here OFTEN.. Great some of you have self-control and your lives are so busy you really don't have time to check facebook. I felt like facebook controlled me. Not that I sat on it for hours. But seriously I am a mother of 3 active children with a list of things I would like to accomplish. Facebook is convenient yes. I really just want to be an Example to my children and what kind of example am I setting by constantly checking my Facebook. I already knew a while ago It was something I wanted to do.  I want to spend my time do BACK TO THE BASIC things like Hand-writing letters ( I find them a little more meaninful) Don't you? Learning to sew, Playing the piano, being outside enjoying what god has given us. Some of you may think ehhh I have it all. Well good for you. If you can multi-task all of that and be a great mother and christlike. kuddos..However I am a MOTHER WHO KNOWS!!! I am doing what I think is best for my family and myself..   

So for those of you Who know and understand Thank you.... For those who don't I think someday you will find it is really a want not a need. You will see that your time could be better spent doing other things.

Interesting Article 
Facebook has become an indispensable way to find old friends, schedule events, play games and even send virtual gifts. But if you're doing more living online than off, it might be time to reassess. Many students are now seeing Facebook more as an addiction than a networking tool, and psychologists are starting to agree.
Are personal relationships taking a backseat to Facebook? Do you think about Facebook even when you're offline? Do you use Facebook to escape problems or homework? Do you stay on Facebook longer than intended? Have you ever concealed Facebook use?
If you answered yes to any, you might be a borderline addict - no joke.
Frequent Facebook visits actually cause something psychologists refer to as intermittent reinforcement.
Rob Bedi, a registered psychologist and assistant professor at the University of Victoria, said that Internet addictions are common on university campuses, often helped by free Internet access, web-based assignments and unstructured blocks of time.
Bedi said there's a difference between procrastination and addiction. If you're losing assignment time to Facebook, though, that's a problem.
The key may be as simple as diagnosing your triggers and changing your habits.
"Find out what's missing from your life," said Bedi. "Whether it's having too much free time, not knowing anyone or just escaping, think about what made you resort to [Facebook], and what you could be doing instead."
Bedi suggests keeping a log to track your Facebook usage. If you're shocked by what you see, try the following: List your Facebook goals. Why did you originally sign up? Record what you actually do on Facebook. Make a Facebook schedule. Limit time to maintaining your original goals. Update your e-mail addresses to avoid relying on Facebook messages.
Bedi also suggested changing your password to something unfamiliar, including numbers, writing it on a piece of paper and placing it out of reach to make checking Facebook a chore. Repeat if necessary to curb your behaviour.
"This is not something you can quit cold turkey," said Bedi. "While a cocaine addict can put down his drug and an alcoholic his drink, you can't preach abstinence to a student society that functions on Internet usage. What you can do is practice control."
For some people, talking with someone might be the answer. Many universities offer addiction counselling through student services.
If you're not quite ready for that, you could join one of the 155 Facebook Addicts Anonymous groups on Facebook itself - but that might defeat the purpose.





3 Happy Thoughts:

Wendy said...

I don't even have an account. I got a lot of grief about it from my family.

The Whetten Family said...

Amen, I just deleted mine and my mom almost had a heart attack.. I love it so much better.

SNYDFAM 5 said...

Well said Sara, it gets easier every day to be off of it!! I think that my husband and kids are happy that I am off of it too!!